On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 02:23:07AM +0800, Christian Renz wrote:
> Actually, I once found myself wondering why while doesn't set $_ all
> the time anyway... It would be nice to do things like
Because the logic of the while construct doesn't require any
connection between the condition and the topic of the body.
In something like this, for instance:

        while (!$file.eof)
        {
            my $line = $file.read();
        }

Does it really make sense to have $_ set to the return value of
the eof call?

>    while ($iterator->each()) { ... }
>    while (query->nextResult()) { ... }
These examples seem to me to make more sense as for loops anyway.

--
Mark REED                    | CNN Internet Technology
1 CNN Center Rm SW0831G      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]