At 6:59 AM +0000 9/7/02, Damian Conway wrote:
>Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>>Sounds like an optimization that should be in the hands of the
>>programmer to me.
>
>Possibly. Though leaving optimization in the hands of the programmer
>is generally a Bad Idea.

Oh, I dunno... If that programmer is me or one of the other folks
from perl6-internals I think you're OK. :)

Generally things are better if people clarify what they want, rather
than specify optimization hints, otherwise you end up with dopey
things like Java's final stuff. If the optimizer knows what you want
to do it is more likely to be able generate fast code, but that works
best when you clearly express the semantics
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk