If memory serves me right, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> Huh? No, you misunderstand. Each chunk of the bytecode has a separate
> TOC for stuff like this. The full identifier would be
> file/chunk/entry, which should be reasonably guaranteed to be unique.
> When the compiler's emitting code to reference a piece of binary data
> (which is essentially a big binary string constant, but I realize
> that having it in separate segments is terribly useful) it can turn
> any human-readable identifier into the internal identifier the engine
> needs to look up the actual data.

Are you suggesting something like JVM's .class's contant pool ? ...
viz a constant  pool and use indexes stored in segments (Attributes for
JVM) to get the internal name ? ...

This model however is not very favourable for fast loading if you're going
in for this for everything... If it's just for custom segments, great !!!!.

Gopal

PS: I can't seem to post to perl6-internals :-(