brian wheeler:
# Is this really necessary?  Seems like a chicken-and-egg
# thing:  to know which chuck the directory is in, you need to
# read the directory.
# However, since you've defined that the first chunk (0) is
# always the directory, there's really no need to have it in
# the directory since you know it has to be the first chunk.

It's essentially there as padding, so that you can do
directory->entries[chunkid] to get the entry for chunkid.

# Out of curiosity, would I need a separate segments if I was
# going to have multiple versions of the program (say, one
# debugging and one
# optimized) in the same file?  It looks that way.  Will the
# segment/chunk ids's be consistent between builds & how do I
# know what they will be in advance (for dynamically loading
# the 'debugging' version on demand) ?

*shrugs*  Dan's the one who thinks multiple segments are important, not
me.  :^)

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

Wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in
New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. And radio operates
exactly the same way. The only difference is that there is no cat.
    --Albert Einstein (explaining radio)