At 11:09 PM -0600 10/20/02, Luke Palmer wrote:
What's the plan on having properties, or attributes (depending on how
far we're taking it), on individual characters in a string?  I think
it's an essential feature, as Lisp has shown us.  If there's an
argument otherwise, I'm all ears.
While they're certainly useful, I think essential's an awfully strong word there. You'll note that, just off the top of my head, C, BASIC, Fortran, Perl, Python, Java, Ruby, Pascal, Oberon, Modula (2 and 3), Forth, Eiffel, Haskell, BLISS, C++, C#, COBOL, PL/I, APL, B, and BCPL all don't do character properties/attributes.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk