On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Mark J. Reed wrote:
: Larry's mail was *marked* as UTF-8, but by the time I got it it
: had no French quotes in it in UTF-8, Latin-1, or any other encoding anymore.
: My mailer understand UTF-8 just fine, and so does vim (which I used to
: look at my spool file to check for encoding oddities); in my copy of his
: message, there's just nothing there.  All I can think is that some MTA
: along the way - possibly our very own Exchange server - stripped them out.

If no one saw them then it could well be a problem on my end.
I'm trying to use a mailer (pine) that doesn't know about UTF-8 in
an environment where vim does UTF-8.  And I may have been in a UTF-8
window at the time.  Things could easily get screwed up between them.
(Anybody know of a version of pine that does UTF-8?)

This is currently running in a window that does Latin-1 rather than UTF-8.
Do these French quotes come through?

    @a «+» @b

Larry