> From: "Markus Laire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 14:44:39 +0200
>
> On 2 Nov 2002 at 0:06, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > More and more conversations like this, (and how many have we seen here
> > already?) about characters sets, encodings, mail quoting issues, in
> > fact, anything other than Perl, will be rife on every Perl-related
> > mailing list if we persist with this idiotic idea of having Unicode
> > operators.
>
> It may seem idiotic to the egocentric people who only needs chars a-z
> in his language. But for all others (think about Chinese), Unicode is
> real asset.

I don't think anyone's arguing that unicode shouldn't be in the
language.  I am all for allowing people to define their own unicode
operators and such.  I just don't think it should be in the core.

I do most of my work over an ssh connection to my favorite server,
through gnome-terminal.  gnome-terminal does not support unicode, so
this whole thread has been filled with ?'s and \251's.  I can't see a
thing...

And I'm a mostly typical geek.  I _finally_ got unicode working in
Emacs, though it was not easy.  I still haven't any idea how to type
these things, just look at them.  Think about how much trouble a
less-geeky-than-I person would have.

We _want_ the world to be unicode compatible, for sure.  But having a
useful operator in unicode isn't quite the answer.  Rather than fixing
their boxes to work with unicode, like we on this list would, they
simply wouldn't use the operator.  I don't quite think this is the
desired effect.

I'm fine with having tolerable synonyms.  Vector plus shouldn't be
"`<<[+]>>"  but I'm okay with it being "^[+]" or some such.  The only
thing to think about there is what will happen when someone writes in
unicode, then someone comes along in maintainance without a
unicode-compatible editor.  It will surely be perplexing to see vector
plus written ?+?.  Of course, this is equivalent to the problem of
unicode variable names, so the point is moot.

Luke