Austin Hastings wrote in perl.perl6.language :

> What we've got is an encoding problem at the MUA level. Mark Reed says
> my mailer (Yahoo!) tagged a message containing high-bit characters as
> US-ASCII. Several people the other day reported on the differences in
> UTF8 vs. Latin-1 handling among pine, elm, and other mailers.

Not only the MUA level. Usually source code is written in a lowest
common denominator of ascii, even for languages that allow unicode
identifiers (Java) or markup. That's because source code is handled by
parsers, documentation extractors, pretty printers, diff(1), patch(1),
version control software, and (you said it) various internet clients.

That's why some people may still prefer to continue using pure ascii
even though then think that unicode operators are cool. (Esp. if they
are under the influence of FUD : "use PHP ! it's ascii compliant !")

> Perl6 will do more to address the real technical issues of electronic
> communication between Americans and French-speakers than anything else.
> (Primarily because Perl hackers want to talk to each other, but no
> French-speaker wants to talk to an American ;-)

You're Italian, aren't you ?