On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:27:16AM -0800, Austin Hastings wrote:
> --- Matthew Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I expect probably something similar to Perl 5's encoding
> > > pragma. (But hopefully lexically scoped.)
> >
> > Okay, but what will the default be? UTF-8? iso-8859-1? My
> > current locale? Am I going to have put
> >
> > use encoding 'utf8';   # or whatever the P6 syntax will be
> >
> > at the beginning of every program that might get distributed
> > outside of my home country to make sure it'll run?
>
> 8859-1 will be the default.

Actually, Unicode will be the default.  8859-1 can probably also be
handled without declaration.

> If you want "trigraph" support, you'll have to put
>
> use encoding 'ugly-american';
>
> at the top of your files. ;-) ;-) ;-)
>
> Otherwise, it'll be one-character ?fancyops? all the way.

Mmm, I view one-character Unicode operators as more of an escape hatch
for the future, not as something to be made mandatory.  But then,
I'm one of those ugly Americans.

Of course, I also think I'm allowed to be a little inconsistent in
forcing things like »op« on people.  After all, there's gotta be
some advantage to being the Fearless Leader...

Larry