On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 12:12:53PM -0700, Luke Palmer wrote:

> What's wrong with C<cached>?
>
> C<pure> ain't bad either, but it won't appeal to
> non-mathematicians---even certain kinds of mathematicians.
> Mathematica thinks a "pure" function is what we think of as an
> "anonymous" sub.  So I like C<cached>.

Part of the reason I would prefer something like "pure" over something
like "cached" is because it describes the function rather than telling
the compiler how to deal with it.  That feels better to me.  It's
working at a higher level.  Maybe the end result is the same, or maybe
there are other optimisations which can be made with "pure" functions.
It's a way of nailing down the contract on the function rather than
specifying implementation details.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net