On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 01:33  PM, Dave Whipp wrote:
     my int $a is range(1000..1255) is unchecked;  # auto-infer 8bit
Just to clarify: I think of the latter (C<range>) for efficient
packing into arrays (e.g. a 5-bit range can be packed efficiently,
even though there is no 5-bit c-type): binding to C routines is
probably best done explicity.

The C<unchecked> property would enable performance
optimizations. Checked-ranges probably catch a few more
bugs, though.
Yeah, I threw that one in because it demonstrated a similar case of using properties to represent "hints" that could be optimized at a very primitive level, not because the last example itself necessarily represents an explicit C type. Sorry for the ambiguity there...

MikeL