On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 01:32 PM, Michael Lazzaro wrote:

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:13  AM, Damian Conway wrote:
Michael Lazzaro wrote:
The remaining big question, then, is whether you can truly subclass Array to achieve C<tie>-like behavior:
class MyArray is Array { ... };
my @a is MyArray;
Oh yes, I would certainly expect that this has to be possible.
OK, next question.  Is _THIS_ possible?

   class FileBasedHash is Hash { ...stuff... };

   my %data is FileBasedHash('/tmp/foo.txt');

And if _that's_ possible, is _THIS_ possible?

   my $path = '/tmp/foo.txt';
   my %data is FileBasedHash($path);

Sorry, but I gotta ask.  :-)
I would ask, if it's possible to inherit from Array or Hash, is it possible to inherit from one which has a constrained storage type?

my WeirdHash is int Hash { ... }