> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:12:48 -0800 (PST)
> From: Austin Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> --- attriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Could someone explain how to know what's the indirect object?  (who
> > knew
> > the "sentence diagramming" would be USEFUL!!)
>
> Short version:
>
> If there's two people in the sentence, the verb-ee is either the direct
> or indirect object. If there's two people and a thing, the -ee is
> indirect.
>
> I hit him. (He's the direct object.)
>
> I gave the ball to him. (Ind.)
>
> In reality, the reference to "indirect object" is a bogus equivalence,
> because we're really making the SUBJECT of the sentence, as

And the one we're modeling it after in Perl is:

  I gave him the ball.

In Perl 6:

  gave him: the ball;

But a better sentence to use as an example here would be a command, as
most imperative (computer) languages use:

  Give the ball to him.

Or equivalently,

  Give him the ball.

In Perl 6:

  give him: the ball;

And as you can see, it is no longer a misnomer.  The subject is
implicitly "you" or (in a Star Trek sense) "computer".

> hit him :I
>
> becomes
>
> I.hit(him)

I don't think so.  Rather, that becomes:

  him.hit(I);

And to clarify, you should probably format it like this:

  hit him: I;

But computer languages aren't generally used to specify past tense
anyway....

To summarize, the indirect object goes I<between> the verb and the
direct object, before the colon.

Luke