Hey Gopal,
Nice to meet you here ;)

--- Gopal V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > I just want to know how where we can put it. The Microsoft IL
> > has a whole section on meta-data,
>
> AFAIK, that just holds the offset, line number and filename. IIRC the
>
> JVM had a LineNumberTable and VarNameTable for debugging which were
> declared as ``attributes'' to each method in the .class tree.
>
> I suppose VarNameTable is totally irrelevant for Parrot ...

I dont know that, what is it? Variable name table? If so,  i think it
might be good for debugging.

> > yes I agree, I just want to be able to reconstruct the tree for
> > debugging or reverse engineering (if the compiler that produced the
> > bytecode whats to produce this).
>
> Optimisations ? ... (bang, there goes the line numbers ;)

If you want to debug, you dont want optimizations. When you run the
debugger in the gcc, it produces a dwarf file, that is the type of
meta-data i am talking about.

> > Normally you dont need this information, I just want to know how I
> can
> > store it if I *do* need it.
> >
> > The metadata from the c++ that i am extracting even exceeds the
> size of
> > the sourcecode itself.
> >
> > yeah, that is the idea. Reflection and introspector require the
> > meta-data, that can be read by special reflection operations.
>
> I think Parrot is going to *need* reflection operations :) ...
> You might be able to extract information like you do with C# ,
> with reflection looping over the methods.

You might want to run C# in parrot, then you need it.

> Btw, your RDF stuff wouldn't be what I call "metadata" :) .. it's
> data itself in a pre-processed format.

Well read my first answer to the original meta-data post, with all the
links.
I think it is meta-data, all information about the bytecode that might
be interesting to a person, to understand what a give bytecode is and
means, it's context, meaning, usage, and all that. it is all meta-data.
The bytecode is what is needed to run.

> > > IMCC can pick out
> > > the chunks of IMC, generate bytecode,
>
> .line 42 "life.fubar"

Again, nice to meet you again Mr. Victory,

Mike

The first ten million years were the worst, said Marvin, and the second
ten million years were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't
enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline......
The best conversation I had was over forty million years ago, continued
Marvin.....And that was with a coffee machine.
- Marvin complaining about being left alone for years.

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/