On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 19:03, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> Our current problem is, that we have two assemblers and two PBC formats.
> Keeping all in sync till now ends obviously at test level.

The perl assembler was never intended to be the permanent solution.
Rather, in typical Perl fashion, to get something working quickly until
such time as it's replaced by something else.  If there's something
else, then ditch the perl assembler.  Or at least reliance on it.
(Someone will undoubtedly replace it with a Perl-based PBC thingy
anyway, but as an add-on it can get out of sync.)

As far as the multiple PBC formats, I'd say ditch the old one there,
too.  We never promised - and it fact warned - that file formats have
been subject to change.  Most everything Parrot runs was just assembled
anyway, so it will continue to apply to the latest format.  On the off
chance that someone really is using Parrot in some sort of production
mode and schlepping around old PBC files, a standalone format converter
would be a nice add-on.  Perhaps even based on the add-on Perl-based PBC
thingy above.

It's way to early to get wrapped up in Parrot's own legacy.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|raba.com)