On Fri 22 Aug 2003 11:16, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:48:11PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
> > The Phalanx project has started its rampup to an official
> > announcement.  Phalanx is going to beef up the tests, coverage and
> > docs on Perl and 100 heavily-used modules from CPAN.
>
> I'll be interested to see how you handle non-Perl dependencies as in
> C libraries.
>

> > The project page is at http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/.  Please take a
> > look, tell me your thoughts, and if there are any serious ommissions
> > from the Phalanx 100 module list...
>
> If we do, then it won't be the Phalanx 100 anymore, will it. :)
> I'd highly recommend against a naming scheme that limits your implementation.
> Hard coded constants and all that. :)
>
> I'd also recommend you list by Module::Name rather than Distribution-Name.
> If nothing else the Module::Name is more consistent.
>
> Here's some Really Important modules you're missing.  I'm using
> http://mungus.schwern.org/~schwern/cgi-bin/perl-qa-wiki.cgi?EssentialModules
> for reference.
>
> It looks like you've left off all CPAN modules which are also in the core,
> I suppose you're figuring they'll be handled by the core smokers.  Except
> that the versions on CPAN are sometimes slightly different than the ones
> in the core.  I recall a recent release of Filter::Simple that worked fine
> in the core but got the paths to its test libraries wrong when installed
> from CPAN.  The smokers also don't check for backwards compat.
>
> Most I mention because they're important.  Some I mention because they
> tend to break a lot and reveal subtle incompatibilities in Perl.
>
> Test
> Test::Harness
> Test::More
> IO
> Class::Date (simply because it seems to break every time Perl changes)
> File::Spec (now on CPAN)
> Cwd (will be on CPAN soon)
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker
> CPAN
> Date::Parse (not so sure about that one)
> IPC::Run (cross-platform process execution is important)
> Devel::Cover
> Devel::Peek
> Devel::DProf
> Devel::SmallProf
> Text::Template
> libnet (Net::FTP, et al)
> Pod::Parser
> Pod::Man
> Pod::Text
> Pod::Simple
> Time::HiRes
> Tk (very complex, very chummy with MakeMaker)
> WxPerl (ditto)
> Filter::Simple (if that breaks, think of all the Acme modules that go with it!)

FWIW here's my list of `standard' modules I allways add or update to the
default installation, with the lastest version I use:

my @defmod = qw(
        ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.16
        Test-1.24
        Test-Harness-2.28
        Test-Simple-0.47
        Getopt-Long-2.33
        Compress-Zlib-1.22
        IO-Zlib-1.01
        Archive-Tar-1.04
        Archive-Zip-1.06
        Data-Dumper-2.102
        Heap-0.50
        Graph-0.201
        Storable-2.07
        Scalar-List-Utils-1.12
        Devel-Size-0.58
        Debug-Trace-0.04
        Bit-Vector-6.3
        Date-Calc-5.3
        DateManip-5.42a
        Time-HiRes-1.50
        Encode-1.97
        Unicode-Collate-0.25
        Text-CSV_XS-0.23
        DB_File-1.806
        DBI-1.37
        DBD-Unify-0.26
        DBD-Oracle-1.14
        DBD-mysql-2.9002
        SQL-Statement-1.005
        DBD-CSV-0.2002
        Digest-1.02
        Digest-MD5-2.27
        Digest-SHA1-2.04
        PROCURA-1.23
        Text-Balanced-1.95
        Parse-RecDescent-1.94
        Crypt-SSLeay-0.51
        Crypt-Rot13-0.04
        libnet-1.16
        Net-Ping-2.31
        Net-Rexec-0.12
        Net-SNMP-3.65
        NNTPClient-0.37
        TermReadKey-2.21
        Term-ReadLine-Perl-1.0203
        Text-Soundex-3.02
        Text-Format0.52+NWrap0.11
        Tk800.024
        Tk-Clock-0.07
        Tk-TreeGraph-1.024
        Devel-ptkdb-1.1086
        MIME-Base64-2.20
        Term-Size-0.2
        Mail-Sendmail-0.79
        Unix-Processors-2.014
        );
if ($^O eq "cygwin") {
    push @defmod, qw(
        IO-stringy-2.108
        OLE-Storage_Lite-0.11
        Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2602
        Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.41
        DBD-Excel-0.06
        DBD-ODBC-1.06
        Win32-Sound-0.45_001
        );
    }
else {
    push @defmod, qw(
        Proc-ProcessTable-0.38
        User-Utmp-1.6.1.1
        Inline-0.44
        X11-Protocol-0.51
        );

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,