"Benjamin Goldberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> What we'd like is a way (and there've been a couple proposed) to make it
> so that the sweep at the end of scope can *quickly* determine that all
> objects needing timely destruction are still alive/reachabe/in-scope,
> and abort early (and thus use less time).

Just wondering: will these "quickly" methods also help solve the problem of
page thrashing on a process that runs out of physical RAM (and thus uses
virtual memory)? I've run into this problem on several GCed apps: the sweep
destroys locality of access, causing pages to be loaded that the application
doesn't need. This can cause a very abrupt performance drop.

Dave.