On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:05:38PM +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:34:38PM +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:16:40PM +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I wrote "database" in quotes because currently we are talking about a
> > > flat file, written using Data::Dumper and eval'd in.  I have considered
> > > other options - specifically YAML and Storable.  I have found YAML to be
> > > even slower and too buggy, and Storable to less reliable.  (I never
> > > tracked down specific problems.)  This in an area that needs to be
> > > addressed.
> >
> > Have you considered SQLite?
>
> Initially I wanted something with few, or better yet no dependencies.  I
> also wanted something that required little or no work when I changed the
> internal data structures.
>
> I'll compromise on both of these, and especially the latter, for
> something that is efficient and reliable.
>
> I'll look into SQLite.

I'd caution against rushing in any particular direction without some
profiling information to back it up.

Having said that, I'd strongly recommend switching to Storable first.
It did have problems but it's now very robust and far, far, faster
than Data::Dumper+eval. This small change would yield a big gain.

The next step would be to get some profile information. There's
little point in doing that first as Data::Dumper+eval will dwarf
time spent elsewhere.

Tim.

p.s. Could someone suggest a pure-perl module with lots of tests as
a suitable testbed for Devel::Cover?