On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:57:14PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> You're going to run into problems no matter what you do, and as
> transcoding could happen with each comparison arguably you need to make a
> local copy of the string for each comparison, as otherwise you run the
> risk of significant data loss as a sring gets transcoded back and forth
> across a lossy boundary.

I think that this rules out what I was going to ask/suggested, having read
Leo's patch. I was wondering why there wasn't a straight memcmp of the
two strings whenever their encoding were the same. I presume that there
are some encodings where two different binary representations are considered
"equal", hence we can't blindly assume that a byte compare is sufficient.

Nicholas Clark