# New Ticket Created by  Frederick Alexander Thomssen
# Please include the string:  [perl #24728]

hi,

I ran into troubles when installing perl 5.8.1/5.8.2/5.9.0 on a SuSE machine I
think it is a SuSE 8.1):
./Configure aborted with the error message
"Configure: line 8199: set: -s: invalid option" after "Figuring out host
name...".

The problem is in the file hints/linux.sh in lines 217-229. There runs a check
that uses csh/tcsh. This SuSE-tcsh seems to have a problem with hostname -
when you run hostname it returns "-s" - even after returning to bash (which
is my standard shell).

So somewhere hostname will still return "-s" and brings me this error message.
I now commented these lines from hints/linux.sh out and it works... I suggest
to check if hostname still runs properly after these lines or using the
variable $HOSTNAME...

freddy
--
Frederick Alexander Thomssen