We're starting to check in library code, which brings up the annoying issue of licensing. Since we haven't been able to go the easy (i.e. all public domain) route for parrot we need to deal with this.

The license on Parrot itself is straightforward enough, albeit a bit odd what with ICU being included with a different license. (And I do need to clarify what Parrot does and doesn't lay claim to) For the library, though...

One of the things that I *very* much want is for all bytecode generated from source passed through Parrot to be completely unencumbered by any license other than the license the original source was under. That makes Parrot suitable for embedded work in a lot of places, which I very much want. (Yes, I want to see Parrot as the embedded engine for games, I want to see it as the replacement engine for AppleScript, and I *desperately* want to see it used as the replacement for the POS engine that Flash/Shockwave uses so I can watch Little Ninja episodes without my CPU being pegged and the animation skipping anyway)

So. Library code. Specifically library wrappers such as ncurses.pasm and postgres.pasm, but anything going into the standard library in general and small enough to not warrant standalone bytecode compilation and runtime link-in. (Which is also in specifically to avoid license contamination) This stuff I'd like to be completely and totally unencumbered. Public domain if possible, licensed as "no claims, no warranty, no advertising--go for it, good luck" if not.

So far this is easy, as the two files in the library were written by me, generated from a library description file, arguably not under copyright anyway, so I can mark them as such without trouble, but I want to make sure everyone knows that this is the plan, and will be codified as the plan in a bit, so that objections can be raised now rather than later.

I'm definitely OK with folks wanting to license their code as they see fit (though note that the copyright notices in the parrot source aren't there for show) but be aware that unless someone can come up with a good reason to not have a quiet and unencumbering license on the code things aren't likely to change.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk