At 1:49 PM -0500 12/22/03, Josh Wilmes wrote:
At 12:23 on 12/22/2003 EST, Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Second, we're assuming that the *non* threaded case is the common
 case. (This is definitely the assumption that I'm most expecting to
 regret in the future)

I think it might be good to get started on regretting that as soon as possible ;-)

Oh, no worries there. :)

Still, at the moment, so far as I can tell, most perl, python, and ruby programs that are run are run single-threaded, and as such that mode ought to have the fastest run. Threaded programs are less common (though certainly not unknown) and as such they should be as efficient as possible but, when a tradeoff's to be made, the single-thread case should win unless it jeapordizes stability or truly screws performance in the multithreaded case.

Note that this doesn't refer to the case where we have multiple free-running interpreters in a process that have no interaction--the type one case. (And mostly the type 2 case)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk