On 22 Dec 2003, at 23:59, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:

<snip>

I think we need a change of mindset. Instead of seeing threaded programs as the special case, we would need to see that the single threaded program is the special case. See how many people use POE for event handling, and through what hoops (Perl) Tk needs to jump through to get proper event handling.

Reading this brought to mind a command-line Perl tool on NT that began life as a quick hack and then grew and grew to the point where a quick Perl Tk user interface would have made it into a proper app but threading issues prevented it.

I wouldn't be surprised if many significant single threaded scripts have remained so because they bumped against this ceiling.

Mike