Jeff Clites <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[ threaded var access: read -> load -> use ... ]

> In any case, I thought this sounded like an interesting model,

I don't see any advantage of such a model. The more as it doesn't
gurantee any atomic access to e.g. long or doubles. The atomic access to
ints and pointers seems to rely on the architecture but is of course
reasonable.

> ... But I assume I'm overlooking
> some subtlety, and that there may be an idea here that we could use to
> our advantage.

Yep. Could be GC related. If there is either incremental or generational
GC, all reads or writes have to be tracked to update GC state, which is
probably simpler, when done at one place.

> JEff

leo