On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:31:39AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> I don't see any advantage of such a model. The more as it doesn't
> gurantee any atomic access to e.g. long or doubles. The atomic access to
> ints and pointers seems to rely on the architecture but is of course
> reasonable.

You *can't* guarantee atomic access to longs and doubles on some
architectures, unless you wrap every read or write to one with a
lock.  The CPU support isn't there.

(Why the "e.g."?  Longs and doubles are explicitly the only core
data types which the JVM does not guarantee atomic access to.)

                       - Damien