At 06:13 PM 1/15/2004 -0500, Melvin Smith wrote:
At 10:02 PM 1/15/2004 +0100, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
At 15:51 -0500 1/15/04, Melvin Smith wrote:
Comments & questions welcome.

Why am I thinking of the "register" keyword in C?

I have no idea and I can't see the relationship. :)

I just realized my response sounded crass, and wasn't meant to be. I welcome comments, I just didn't understand what relation you were getting at. Feel free to point it out to me.

The context: Jonathan was asking about importing
constants at runtime and/or constant namespaces.

Dan and I were discussing the issues and how routines
with lots of package globals or constants would spend
a significant part of their time retrieving symbols. Jonathan
did not want compile time constants, Dan did not want
"importable" constants that mutate the bytecode at runtime,
so I was trying to come up with a compromise, ugly as
it may be.

Weird optimizations are ok in my book if they can be
hidden in a back-end compiler.

-Melvin