Michal,

> But rather than always monitoring for that, I'd want
> to register a listener and then have parrot handle the
> polling for me.

This is precisely what's being discussed.

> This is probably a dumb question but: what if signals
> threw exceptions instead?

I'd hope that the event handler for a signal event could
elect to throw an exception; it could even be the default.
But the exception has to get into the thread somehow--
exceptions don't autonomously happen, and they require
considerable cooperation from the thread on which the
exception occurs. High-priority events are that mechanism
through which the code which will throw the exception can
interrupt normal program execution.

--

Gordon Henriksen
IT Manager