Benjamin K. Stuhl writes:
> Other than the special case of :readonly, can you give me an example
> of when you'd need to, rather than simply writing a PMC class that
> inherits from some base? I'm having trouble thinking of an example of
> when you'd want to be able to do that... After all, since operator
> overloading and tying effectively _replace_ the builtin operations,
> what more does one need?

Well, other than Constant, we need to be able to put locking on shared
PMCs.  We'd like to add a debug trace to a PMC.  We could even make any
kind of PMC sync itself with an external source on access, though that's
a bit of a pathological case.

Indeed, all of this can be done, however, by subclassing Ref.  I think
the reason this isn't sufficient is that we want to change the actual
PMC into this new variant when it is possibly already in existence.
Like my C<supplant> was evilly trying to do.  Perhaps there's a way to
get that working safely...

Luke