Michal Wallace writes:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> > We also have to have a way to fetch the method PMC for a named method
> > for later use, which is where the interesting bits come in.
> >
> > This is required for a number of reasons, including Python, so we
> > have to have it. The question is... *When* is the name resolved? That
> > is, if we do:
> >
> >     findmethod P4, Pobject, "methodname"
> >
> > does the method PMC that gets stuck in P4 represent the method
> > "methodname" for the object *at that point in time* or does it
> > represent the method *at the time it is invoked*? That is, do we
> > defer actual lookup until invocation, or do we resolve at method find
> > time?
>

> For python, you want P4 to contain the method as
> it is when this op is run.
>
> But the whole idea of a findmethod seems very
> unpythonic to me. In python, a method is just another
> attribute... One that happens to be callable and also
> happens to know what instance it's bound to.

As with Perl 6.  A sub object has a C<do> trait which specifies what to
do when it's called.

But I think findmethod is a good idea, cross-language-wise.  Each
language has a different idea of what a method is, and they can store it
that way.  As long as findmethod is vtableable, you can hook it up to
whatever system your language uses.

Luke