Dunno why it is, but I tried to post a message about
30 hours ago and nothing ever showed up in the NNTP
archive. So I re-subscribed again figuring that'd
speed things up. You should see my perl box:

  WELCOME to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  confirm subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  GOODBYE from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  confirm unsubscribe from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  WELCOME to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  confirm subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*ANYWAY*

Sorry if I get some of the details wrong or talk about
something that's already been covered. I haven't quite
kept up with the mailing list recently.

As I see it, there are 2 basic ways you can handle the
methodcall/property issue:

Way 1:

  HL code -> pseudo-parrot code

  python:
    v = x.y ->  c = getprop(x, "y")
      (v now contains a bound method)
    v()     ->  call( v )
    x.y()   ->  callmeth( x, "y" )

  ruby:
    x.y     ->  getprop(x, "y")
    x.y()   ->  callmeth(x, "y")

It is then up to the object to decide whether
getprop should return a bound method or the result
of calling the named method.

Way 2:

   same as way 1 except for

   ruby:
      x.y  -> callmeth(x, "y")

As this would result the behavior a ruby programmer
would tend to expect if x was a python object and y
was an accessor method. Still, it should be up to the
object to decide what getprop should do, but if more
languages went this route, it would be more common for
getprop to return bound methods instead of the result
of calling the method, as languages that don't expect
to ever get a method by saying "x.y" would always call
a method and never deal with properties.

Way 1 seems cleaner on a low level. OTOH, it could
cause problems when calling accessor methods on a
python object from ruby. But I think in this case it
is the responsibility of the python programmer to name
accessor methods as 'get_color()' as opposed to just
'color()', which looks to the programmer like a
property rather than a method.