At 10:22 PM +0000 3/12/04, Mark Sparshatt wrote:
Hi,

I've been reading PDD15. It seems that if the object foo is an instance of the class Foo then foo is a ParrotObject pmc and Foo is a ParrotClass pmc.

From the description in PDD15 I'm not sure how to hand languages where a class is also an object. Where Foo is an instance of Foo' which is an instance of Class.

Okay, I'm going to be dense here for a bit, as I just don't do objects. (Well, except grudgingly, and with an inordinate amount of grumbling) So the big question is... What Does This Mean? I'm reasonably sure (though not 100% sure) that classes can only inherit from classes, not objects, so there's none of this template object stuff to deal with. The ParrotObject PMC inherits from the ParrotClass PMC, so there's a lot of overlap, so... what can one do with a class that makes it a metaclass? (Yeah, I do realize I'm more or less asking a "Recap the last 30 years of OO theory for Dummies" question, but I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with things to ask a better one)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk