At 02:42 PM 3/13/2004 -0800, Steve Fink wrote:
> > currently, the  pir line
> >     S5 = S5 . 'foo'
> > produces
> >     error:imcc:object isn't a PMC
> >
> > concatenation with . seems to be gone
> > i cannot think of a good replacement for it

This should be fixable with some lexer or parser tweaking.

Well, Perl 6 uses ~ .  I think that would be a fair replacement:

>     S5 = S5 ~ 'foo'

We don't have the same ambiguity problems in PIR that we do in Perl6 since PIR is very simple and uniform.

foo.baz is a method or member access
foo . baz is concatenation

For an intermediate language for multiple front end compilers
1) Strict rules are just fine
2) Eventually compilers will simply use the AST API and skip the
textual mode.

I tend to use the 'concat' op in my own code anyway. So I'll abide by
Leo's or Melvin's ruling.

Explicit concat works for me too.

Parsing PIR is not too complex, so I'm not worried about a lexer
kludge here or there. I prefer to keep the . for concat.

-Melvin