Larry Wall wrote in perl.perl6.internals :

> Not using metaconfig (or something like it) would be the biggest
> mistake.  It's actually next to impossible to maintain something like
> a Configure script directly.

Actually as parrot already uses IIUC variables set up by Configure,
I think one could drop the "or something like it". The biggest drawback
of Configure is that it's UNIX-centric. But it's yet impressively
portable and backwards-compatible (ask any Richard Clamp).

[Some time ago Raphael Manfredi, bored by the autocrap tools (as he
names it) expressed the intent to work on metaconfig again, but then he
disappeared again.]