At 8:16 PM +0200 3/29/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:

At 8:40 AM +0100 3/27/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

A short question WRT implementation: shouldn't all MMD functions just use one function slot? You now seem to duplicate the whole table.

Yes, I do.

Did you consider ussng PMCs as instead of plain function pointers. As outlined a NCI, C, and PASM Sub PMC would be equally just invoke()d.

Yeah, I did. You end up with a twofold problem there--not only do you have extra indirection but you've also got relatively fat entries in the table.

For right now I'd like to keep it simple, and the two table approach is simple. We can poke around and optimize it later, after it's properly working. Ultimately it ought to be doable to have the JIT, on JIT capable systems, construct custom C function headers which means we could skip the second table *and* not bother with PMCs or anything equally fat for the function entries.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk