Dan Sugalski wrote:
#3, I should point out, will *only* be used on those platforms that don't have a better scheme, and only by the Parrot_get_base_library_path() function.

System registry on Windows? /etc file on Unixen?

That's global. Bad idea, it messes up multiple installs of the same version, or similar-enough versions that they're indistinguishable.

Good point.

Actually, one thing I'd like to see is if it wasn't the library's base
path hardcoded in, but the base path of a frozen data structure or
program that encoded Parrot's settings.  That would allow it to carry
the runtime library path, the paths to ICU's tables, the paths to search
for PMCs, and whatever else we can think of, without a hardcoded limit.

This wouldn't be a bad thing, nope. I could see security issues--it'd probably be better to link the config file right into parrot.

Install it with root ownership and 644 permissions, in a directory with similar settings. (Or the system's equivalent, of course.) Then put big blinking security warnings wherever the documentation talks about editing that file. We can't protect sysadmins from their own idiocy.

--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.