At 9:18 PM -0400 4/17/04, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:

Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:

Dan Sugalski wrote:

3) Parrot itself (the main executable) has a static, global 1K buffer in it that starts and ends with some recognizable string (like, say, "***+++***START|" and "|END***+++***") so we can find it and overwrite the contents if the library gets moved, for use on platforms where the only way to put a path in is to stick it statically in the executable.

That's pretty disgusting, but I don't know that I have a better idea.

There isn't one, alas, at least for some people.

Everyone running tripwire, et al. (or simply md5sum'ing files to verify integrity) will just love this strategy to death.

No, not really. This only gets done once, when the package is installed.

Finding resource and library files relative to the binary really is a very good strategy.

I'm not saying it isn't, just that it's not possible on some systems. Granted, fairly old one generally, but...
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk