On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 12:29, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
> With all current optimizations[1] I now have these timings:
>
> $ ./bench -b=^oo[234f]
> Numbers are relative to the first one. (lower is better)
>          p-j-Oc  perl-th perl    python  ruby
> oo2     100%    182%    152%    90%     132%
> oo3     100%    276%    256%    333%    383%

That looks suspicious... especially Python. It smells there's some lazy
evaluation going on here, and that object doesn't get fully instantiated
until oo3. I suspect, in that light, that the numbers aren't quite as
bad for Parrot as they look in oo2, nor as good for Parrot as the look
in oo3 (well, maybe as good as they look, but not as bad... I have to
think about that).

> $ time CALL__BUILD=1  parrot -j oo2b.pasm
> real    0m2.566s
> vs      0m2.630s  for oo2.pasm
> (w.o any of these optimizations oo2b takes 3.9s)

I would suggest using iterations that go much longer so that you can
detect over-optimizations and such more easily.

Very nice!

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith