At 11:59 AM -0400 4/28/04, Aaron Sherman wrote:
On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 11:33, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 We toss the keyed variants for everything but get and set. And... we
 move *all* the operator functions out of the vtable and into the MMD
 system.
[...]
Comments?

Only one question. What's the performance hit likely to be and is there any way around that performance hit for code that doesn't want to take it?

I'm not sure of the hit--an MMD version of the perl base scalar PMCs is faster than the non-mmd version in some tests. I fully expect that can't hold, though. And no, there's no way around it--if we do this everyone pays. (OTOH, all perl PMCs are supposed to check anyway, though this is a cost we weren't necessarily paying)

(On the other hand, if we do this the JIT may be able to play some inlining games, which is worth thinking about before we set the interface in stone)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk