On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 12:06, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> I'm not sure of the hit--an MMD version of the perl base scalar PMCs
> is faster than the non-mmd version in some tests. I fully expect that
> can't hold, though. And no, there's no way around it--if we do this
> everyone pays. (OTOH, all perl PMCs are supposed to check anyway,
> though this is a cost we weren't necessarily paying)

Since we're specifically talking about Perl here (and probably not Perl
5, since its overloading model is baroque and probably has to be managed
by the compiler, not Parrot), I was under the impression that for types
that are non-objecty, they would NOT check. Specifically:

        my int $x = 1;
        my int $y = 2;
        my int $z = $x + $y;

would be guaranteed to perform integer addition in the fastest possible
form (though it might store $x and $y in a PMC or an INT, that's not the
programmer's concern, only that his addition is going to be addition and
no one's going to rip that out from under him).

Certainly in Java that's going to be the case. I don't know Ruby or
Python well enough to comment.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith