At 4:43 PM -0700 4/28/04, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:
OWNER_READ    True if owner can read
OWNER_WRITE    True if owner can write
OWNER_EXECUTE    True if owner can run
OWNER_DELETE    True if owner can delete
GROUP_CD    True if owner can enter this directory

Is it possible to have something along the lines of ME_{READ,WRITE,EXECUTE,DELETE,CD} to say if, as the user the program is running as, you can perform these actions? That strikes me as rather useful. (Alternately, could we have a field indicating if the current user is OWNER, GROUP, SYSTEM, or OTHER to this file? Gives you pretty much the same info.)

Sure, that works, and I can see it being as useful as the other permission testing stuff. (Which, arguably, is actually really really useless, but that's a separate issue. We could, I suppose, unconditionally return 'true' for all of these...)
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk