At 3:40 PM -0400 6/14/04, Dan Sugalski wrote:
At 8:15 PM +0100 6/14/04, Alex Gough wrote:
#### [Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:39:27AM +0200: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

| Time for these as well. There's a partial implementation of them in | types/bignum.c. I think it's time to move that to src/ (and the | header file to .h) and get it integrated into parrot.

 I'm not really sure if types/bignum.c is what we want. There are AFAIK
 some other math packages around, which are maintained and more complete.
 GMP comes to my mind.

That's not such a bad plan. There's still a lot to do before the bignum stuff is entirely ready (in terms of functions for the standard) (and I'm still too busy right now to get deeply into anything).

The only thing that worries me about GMP is the license. It's LGPL, so we might be able to, but it's tough to tell for sure, and the explanatory text doesn't help at all.

But on second reading it the license makes this untenable. If we did use the GMP library and shipped it with parrot then we'd be obligated to package the full GMP source code with every binary distribution, so... no joy there.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk