#### [Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:39:27AM +0200: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> | Time for these as well. There's a partial implementation of them in
> | types/bignum.c. I think it's time to move that to src/ (and the
> | header file to .h) and get it integrated into parrot.
>
> I'm not really sure if types/bignum.c is what we want. There are AFAIK
> some other math packages around, which are maintained and more complete.
> GMP comes to my mind.

That's not such a bad plan.  There's still a lot to do before the
bignum stuff is entirely ready (in terms of functions for the
standard) (and I'm still too busy right now to get deeply into
anything).

At the same time, I'd caution against putting too much functionality
into the core, the current Perl bignum stuff is probably too broad,
which makes it tricky to look after.  I'd also argue strongly in
favour of a decimal bignum implementation, because that gets you two
birds with one stone (well, a few: bignums, limited/defined precision
bignums, trustyworthy rounding, decent numerical exception support,
world peace), and a massive test suite from ibm to let you know
everything's working.

Alex
--
It's supposed to be automatic but actually you have to press this button