Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> At 10:06 AM -0700 6/16/04, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
>>Dan Sugalski wrote:
>>>Which reminds me--we need to have a syntax to distinguish between key types.
>>
>>Perl already gives us two of the three:
>>     Px[Iy]
>>     Px{Sy}
>>
>>For the third, I suggest we extend the analogy:
>>     Px<Pz>
>
> Except it breaks really really badly for multidimensional keys:
>
>     Px[S1:i;S2:s;P3:i]

  Except it does not:

    Px[S1]{S2}[P3]

  Of course, that is not good for the syntactically diabetic ... but
more readable to human eyes, IMO.  Compare:

  Px[S1:i..I1,P1:i,P2:i..S2:i;P3:s]

  vs:

  Px[S1..I1,P1,P2..S2]{P3}

  ... not that I think anything remotely human would actually write
something like that in real code ... nevermind ...

Eirik
--
Boston's Irreversible Law of Clutter:
     In any household, junk accumulates to fill the space available