On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:23:39PM -0700, Paul Hodges wrote:
> --- Luke Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So a null byte is still Boolean true.
> Ugh, yarf, ack, etc.
>
> But as long as I know -- easy enough to check explicitly.
>
> But just tell me this....am I the only guy who thinks this *feels*
> wierd? Understanding the reason doesn't make it any more ~comfortable~.

In C it would be weird, but in Perl there is nothing
special about the null byte - it is just a character
like any other because strings know how long they are
without depending upon an inline terminator character.

For some particular glue purposes, detecting null
explicitly and using the result as boolean is useful -
but other character values are used as a boolean flag
in a string (comma, linefeed, space, quotes, etc.) far
more often than null, so giving null special status
in the language seems wrong to me.