Okay, so it's not done, but I put a new version up to be looked at. I'm taking Leo at his word on how the stack behaves, as I've not had time to look that closely at it to see myself. (Though by inspection it does still look like stack usage is pretty low, and is either 0 or 1 at labels (and only 1 when the label is a pop_top op)) We'll see how well it all responds to static analysis.

So... ignore the ops I was talking about earlier. They may be useful, but not for this right now. There's a new version of Python::Bytecode (on CPAN, 2.5) that can at least parse, if not actually handle, unicode, complex numbers, and some weird bits in with the extended precision numbers, so all the compiled bytecode modules at least fully parse.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk