Larry Wall wrote:

Somebody needs to talk me out of using A..Z for the simple cases.

Larry

The Turing programming language uses splat to stand in for the length of the array, so in Turing *a[*-1]* means what Perl 5 programmers mean when they say *$a[-1]*.

However, splat is already quite heavily loaded in Perl 6. So I got to thinking of Ada's "empty box" operator, *<>*. Maybe it would be a good stand-in for the temporary "it" that represents a dimension's length. So [EMAIL PROTECTED]<>-3..<>-1]* could be the syntax to grab the last 3 three elements of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That might confuse users of languages that were not C-syntax-influenced, who think that '*<>*' means "not equal". But surely old Modula hacks like me are in a minority in the Perl world (and Pascal programmers would never do Perl, would they? Algol, anybody?) So maybe I'm the only one who runs the risk of that particular confusion. :-)

'Course, I don't pretend to understand all the possible existing meanings that '*<*' and '*>*' already have in Perl 6, either.

=thom
Q. How many Malkieri does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. Well, it better not be more than one.