According to Dan Sugalski:
> That is, any routine should be able to inspect the environment of its
> caller, and modify that environment, regardless of where the caller
> came from.

Understood.

> Leaf subs and methods can know [their call paths], if we stipulate
> that vtable methods are on their own, which is OK with me.

So, given this sub and tied $*var:

   sub getvar { my $i = rand; $*var }

the FETCH method implementing $*var might not be able to see $i?
Which implies that there may be no pad and $i could be in a register?
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "I don't really think it is a question of bright people and dumb