Kevin Scaldeferri wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Kevin Scaldeferri wrote:
>

>> So, I don't expect anyone to try to figure out this stack trace stuff,
>> but I'm curious if other people have seen stability problems like
>> this?  Alternatively, if someone can tell me the exact logistics of
>> how they get the coverage out in the end, I'd appreciate it.  Is there
>> another way than 'kill'ing the apache process to get Devel::Cover to
>> write its data?  It seems to do it at one point during startup, but
>> after that it looks like it just stays in memory, which I end up
>> losing when things go bad terminating the process.
>>

> Sorry, to resurrect this, but I was hoping to hear from some other
> people who are using Devel::Cover in mod_perl about just how they run
> the tests, and get the results out.  Are people doing something other
> than killing the server in order to get Devel::Cover to dump the data
> out of memory to the disk?  Could anyone give a cookbook type procedure
> that they use to do this sort of data collection?

we use Apache-Test, which starts the server, runs the tests, and shuts down
the server again.  with the posted patch (or the next version of
Devel::Cover) this produces the necessary statistics - running cover when
Apache-Test is done generates the same html you would get from a normal test
script.

if you haven't investigated Apache-Test yet, I would.  our custom make
target look like this:

test-cover: all
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] -delete
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]::Cover=+ignore,\.t\$$ \
          ,+ignore,apache_test_config.pm,+ \
          +inc,$(HOME)/.apache-test,APACHE_TEST_EXTRA_ARGS=-one-process \
          $(MAKE) test
        @cover

that final $(MAKE) test calls 'make test' which calls the generated
Apache-Test harness t/TEST.  works like a charm :)

--Geoff