According to TOGoS:
> > Ruby apparently has a unified namespace.  Perl doesn't have one of
> > those.  Pretending it does is just closing your eyes and humming.
>
> Many other languages won't be able to access perl's various
> differently-typed variables, anyway.

Sure they will, with appropriate aliasing requests.

> To those languages perl should make visible a unified namespace.

That's a level of DWIM inappropriate for a language runtime.

> It can feel free to have a second, non-unified one if it likes. If
> you had bothered to read the second half of the message you'd know
> that that's what I meant.

I read all of it.  I know what you mean.  What you are not realizing is
that the "appearance" of a unified namespace *is* a unified namespace.

A Perl runtime won't have the necessary information to present one.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "I don't really think it is a question of bright people and dumb