Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions for improving estimation.
Based on this and other research, I expect to make a sort of "best
practices" documentation for use at my small professional services firm.
I'm thinking of including these key parts in it:

 1. A checklist of things to consider when estimating. This is especially for
        the "non programming" parts. While not meant to be comprehensive, it
        may help to jar the memory about factors that come into play.

 2. Have all significant estimates peer reviewed. Perhaps
        "reality-checked" is more what I have in mind. Did I leave out some
        part of the process that takes time?  Does anything seem really off?

 3. A spreadsheet to document past estimates, with columns for
    "estimated time", "actual time", "scope", and "risk factors"

 4. Reward good estimates. :)

Comments?

        Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .